Saturday, April 23, 2011

Why Are You A Boater?

by William L. Gills aka Bos'n Bill


Why did you buy a boat in the first place and why did you feel the urge to “move up” to a bigger boat?  This topic intrigues me as in my life I have met those that don’t care a gulls cry about boating, don’t like the water, hate the sun, have a fear of drowning in the water with creatures unseen. I’ve heard landlubbers snigger, “Why would I want to go out on a boat, are you kidding? I’d rather do pushups.” These people are everywhere; you may know a few of them.


I have been boating on lakes, rivers and the ocean since I was five with a few years of inactivity in between, with heavy wooden rowboats, lateen and sloop rigged sailboats, a 17 foot runabout and a few years back a 26 foot cruiser we treated  like a small house, a cottage on the water. We filled it with everything we thought we'd need given any special circumstance that might arise no matter how inconsequential.


At first, I have to admit, we didn't know what we might need so we prepared ourselves with everything; inverter, inflator/deflator for our dinghy, outboard motor, dinghy gas, tools, extra lines, shore power cord, fan, TV, grill, rafts, noodles, coolers, extra food, beverages, you get the picture. A lot of these "necessities" found a place in the aft cabin and we were constantly shuffling and pealing away to find whatever wasn't on top.


To ameliorate this affliction, this "overabundant superfluity", we bought a bigger boat.  We've found a way to fill that up too, but at least we have a bit more breathing room. I don't blame my wife as many husbands will do, I contribute to the problem as well, but I'm more aware of what this can lead to, I'm usually the one driving the boat, which really digs in when we throttle up.


In spite of the fact that I was the one in the family who decided we needed to immerse ourselves in this recreational money sump, I could never have done it without my wife.   I’m curious though.  What happened to you?  Why are you a boater anyway?




William L. Gills aka Bos'n Bill is the author of the book, Lubber's Log published by Llumina Press; a boating primer and adventure story about a couples experiences in moving up to a bigger boat.  You can visit his website here.



4 comments:

  1. hi bill nice site. it wont be long. get your wax out. max

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Max, thanks for stopping by.

    Wax at the ready in my right hand, rag in the left, buffer tucked in my belt. A labor of love. Can't wait to be back with the old girl again stroking her with tender affection.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Boating has been in my family for generations. A great grandfather who was a tugboat captain on the Hudson, a grandfather who was a recreational boater and a father who carried on the passion but never owned a boat until recently. I was fortunate enough to have friends who had boats but never owned one of my own until recently. My wife and I were visiting with a friend who had a 44 foot power cat. We spent the weekend on the hook a few years back with them. It was at that time that we realized we were missing out on a hobby that would soon become a lifestyle for us and our children. We then came across a great deal on a 32' cruiser. It was a tremendous under taking considering neither of us had any boating experience operating, navigating or maintaining a boat. We jumped in with both feet and never looked back. It has been the best decision we have ever made. It has given us more quality family time with our children than I ever I dreamt possible. We spend every weekend from the end of March through October living aboard. We spend our vacations traveling the east coast by water. We have met some terrific people who all share the same passion. I guess you can say it is now an addiction, but one that we are happy to have. I passed the time this winter designing yet another boating website to help feed my addiction during the long winter months. It is a forum for people with a passion for boating. We are always looking for new members so please visit us at www.theboatspot.com and say hello, share your knowledge or ask questions related to boating. Happy boating!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great story Meant. Great history. Congrats on the new boat! I get the learning curve the first year, believe me. I have been boating for years in smaller craft, but “moving up” was a start all over again.

    I’m amazed that a Jerseyite like yourself launched in March, that’s early for most Northeast boaters like myself. Is it really that much warmer down coast or is it a penchant that you have for being the first in? 

    Family, friends… what better place than a boat where you can really retreat. God bless your family, may they find bliss in the loll of wind and waves of 2011.

    As to addiction:
    We tell family and friends, we’re not available until boating season is officially over in November. Then we can take on the holidays, fat season, Atkins and boating again.

    I’ve been to theboatspot and I really like what I see. I have a link to you on my blogsite, check it out: I believe you have a future in appealing to boaters who love the pastime as much as I do. Visit : http://wgills502.blogspot.com You’ll see what I mean Mean!

    ReplyDelete